Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Backed up and Bottle Necked!



Alright, I'm going to start with the recent stuff and work my way backwards!

My Philippine students have officially stopped coming to class which means my 10 o'clock class today didn't happen.. and ultimately means I had no classes today. But, no worries! I have tutoring tonight which is eight times more energy depleting than my college classes.

Last night, Jeremy, Laurie, Drew and I had our second official 'listening' where Drew picks an album that takes you on a 'journey' and we experience listening to it. It originally sounded a little boring to me but I really enjoy participating. I've learned a bit about the people participating.

This past Sunday I had two crazy things happen: First, after playing outside with the little kids that I tutor (with literally 30 people watching) we headed back inside. Mary, Jacky, and Steven ran ahead and waited for us outside the gate, while I turned the corner of the apartments Jacky turns to look at me with this HUGE grin on his face and as confusion hits me trying to figure out why he's grinning so much realization sets in that he's relieving himself right there on the sidewalk, in front of the apartments, and facing me. Oh kids! Second things was after our Sunday meeting Danielle and I went into Carrefour the supermarket and upon leaving we see a man carrying his baby, which is around the age of 1 1/2 - 2 years old and the baby is drinking out of a beer can... BEER CAN!!

That same night... (yeah, I'm busy on Sundays) We hung out with Edwin and Mary Myers who are amazing!! They used to teach up here in Wuhan but moved back to the States before I got here but they recently returned to a town about six hours away by train. Anyways, they were up here and it's so refreshing to be around people who are older, more wise, and have a different view on life than the 20somethings that I always hang out with here. Anyways, we spent the whole night joking and laughing. Mary almost peed her pants when Jeremy told her the story of the three of us crashing a Japanese funeral! We also had lunch with them on Monday. I love them!!

I'm still sticking to my Old Testament readings. I'm around Deuteronomy 20ish. I really want to finish the OT before I get home. So, please encourage me!

Great Story... to fully appreciate this, you must have watched High School Musical or at least worked at Camp of the Hills in '07. Anyways, I was playing a game with my sophomore students in class which required them to be in teams of three and to choose a team name. One of the teams choose the team name of Wildcats. I had my suspicions to why they chose that name, but I moved on with class. WELL, team Wildcat ended up winning the game and after I announced this to the class one of the boys yelled out "WHAT TEAM?" and the other two, without thinking, yelled back "WILDCATS".. and they repeated it "WHAT TEAM?"... "WILDCATS". Yes that is right 20 year old college sophomore quoting High School musical in class... Can my job get any better?

Alright, if you don't receive my mass emails or I don't keep in touch with you well enough. I've decided to move back to Abilene and go into the Marriage and Family Program graduate program. I'm nervous but I guess that comes with any major decision in one's life.

Lastly, I each lunch weekly with two girls on Tuesdays named Stephanie and Amy who's English abilities are great. This week the weather was wonderful that we sat outside to eat and Daniel accompanied us. We sat and just chatted for about an hour and a half. I really enjoy spending time with those two girls. Stephanie always runs the new phrases she learns by me, the first one was "curious as Lot's wife" which was fun to talk about. And the second was "take a hike". I told her to turn to Daniel and say this, but she got really nervous and couldn't!!

Alright, until next time!

1 comment:

Robert2007 said...

Wildcats, get your head in the game!

Tara, Love the blog posts. I wanna start getting your emails, too!

You should definitely make a trip up to D.C. after you return from China and before starting up in Abilene.

Much love, Robert