Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Military Training

When learning my schedule to teach I noticed that my freshman class would be starting three weeks after all of my other classes and when I asked why I was told that every freshman is required by China to go through military training prior to starting classes. I heard it and thought it was weird, but as of last night when they started now I'm just straight up intimidated and scared!! Okay, maybe not scared but it is quite insane. I was walking across campus at night, actually for the first time by myself, and I hear random large groups singing at the same time when I pass by the soccer field I see hundreds of students sitting learning to sing what I assume to be some national military song but it was very awe inspiring to see hundreds of Chinese teenagers in camo sitting staring and mocking a military commander. As I passed by I saw another group of boys learning to sharply turn on command, I kept seeing some trying to sneak a peek at the foreigner passing by (most freshman have never seen a foreigner).... Since 8 this morning until now which is 5:33 these freshman have been training on how to march, turn, chant, etc. It's crazy to see.

2 comments:

The Boyd Gang said...

I am so glad that you decided to blog. I bet you are seeing some really interesting stuff. I will show the girls your blog so they can keep up with you. Hope you are enjoying yourself. It might not hurt to train some of the teenagers in America:)

Bradley said...

Wow military training. That is interest, I had never heard that. Military training but are they required to actually go into the military at some point, like Israelis?