Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A small snippet of my life!

Here is a tiny snippet of my life, I found enough significance in it to write about it obviously.

I exit my apartment wearing my newly purchased maroon striped super thick thermal pants that I bought at a shopping district here in Wuhan that is the equivalent of a 6 block flea market. I begin my short journey to the apartment that I tutor my babies at, listening to 'Love Hurts' by Nazareth and I smell the familiar scent, which I later am astonished that I actually recognize, as cooking chicken feet. And I'm taken aback by the whole situation. First, I now recognize the smell of cooking/cooked chicken feet, I'm walking to tutor 5 year olds who are on the same level of vocabulary in English that I am in Chinese, and I'm in flipping China!!

I also shed two tears today when I received a card from my parents that only said 'I love you so much'. The card had no senders address and no one signed the card, the only things personally written in it was 'Love ya Boo' in my fathers distinct slanted handwriting and my mother's beautiful cursive that elaborated with a 'and me too'. It's weird how being away from my family for my birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas didn't invoke as much emotion as a simple card with only 6 words written in it.

3 comments:

Tink said...

HI TARA!
You made me teary-eyed with this blog. I know your parents miss you so much! They are so proud of you as a mother myself, I am proud of you too! I can only hope that my daughter is just as spunky, loving and adventurous as you are. Miss you girly!

Tina (mom's crossword partner @ work) :)

jencook said...

That was a great description of those little moments that hit you, when you start to realize that a crazy place entirely different from where you grew up is starting to feel familiar. Mmm chicken feet. You are a great human being :)

Anonymous said...

i ate some kentucky fried chicken today. it was pretty good.

so as you can tell, my story is very similar, we lead similar lives tara, there is no denying this.