Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Lesson




I received a ton of hilarious/ awful Christmas cards from my students. Three were the exact same because there aren't too many choices for Christmas cards and three weren't even Christmas cards! They were random cartoon or love cards.
One of my students that really tries the hardest and is always making a point to come talk to me and be nice to me, gave me the best Christmas present that a Chinese person could have given me. First, he bought me a package of runts. The actual runts don't matter but they don't have those in China, he obviously had to go out of his way to go to an import store, which are really expensive in comparison to normal supermarkets here. The best part was the card he gave me. His card was small and quite cute (no chenglish!) but the most touching things were the words he wrote. "Dear Tara, Firstly, I want to say "Merry Christmas" to you. Secondly, maybe it is the first time that you spend Christmas holiday without your families, especially in China. But we are also your families. Please don't feel alone. At last, I hope you will have a happy and nice time in Wuhan, China. Yours, Will Young" I can't tell you how much that card meant to me. Especially sitting alone Christmas Eve morning.... It reminds me how much our words can affect each other. Tell your family and friends how much they mean to you every chance you get.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas!, nice gift =)

Unknown said...

I hope you have a great Christmas! I'm glad that there are people over there that care about you, just like so many over here.

Perez said...

Nice, Tara.
I think this is a lesson I can never stop learning: things are always better when they are shared with someone special. Especially during times like Christmas, which are traditionally family oriented, it is better to share it with...fill in the blank.

I am sorry you are by yourself Christmas Eve, it if makes you feel better, I am in Abilene, alone, and its Christmas day. And sure, I like to be all hard ass, "I dont care if Im alone," but, sure, things are better when they are shared with someone special. So!...

I am glad you have student that care about you enough to make you sinsere (spelling?) Christmas cards. Having students that care that much speaks leaps and bounds of their teacher.

Merry Christmas.

=)

Robert2007 said...

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

OH TAAAAAAAAARAAAAAAAAAAA, I like that student that sent you that card, he sounds pretty cool to me.